Monday 21 June 2010

Bream

Well what a day........... the first red letter day of the year...... 8-)

I spend the large parts of Saturday getting the bait ready for a trip to the "pond" in search of the tench and large bream that swim in its depths..... ::)

So groundbait mix was prepared, pellets soaked and maggots riddled.....tackle was prepared and rigs were assembled ready for an early start.....

4:45am the alarm sounded :o.......but it was another 40 mins before I got up and looked out of the window to see gloomy, windy and drizzly conditions outside........bed or bank ???

I got dressed and prepared for a wet and wintery (felt like that) day on the banks of the "pond".....set out at 5:45am and arrived at 6:10am and parked up.....

Gear was unpacked and I trudged to the swim with four layers on :o....some summer we are having....

Conditions were not great......south westerly wind blowing towards my bank, temp was 9 deg C and it was drizzling......but as this was the first lot of fishing for a while I was keen to wet a line or two.....

A couple of bream could be seen rolling every so often in the distance at about 80-yrds so I thought that that a shoal must be in the area :)

I decided that normally tactic were going to be no good due to conditions, so out came both specimen rods.....a 1.75lb 11lb ft and a 2lb 12lb version.......both are capable for 60yrd casts with 2oz method feeders, but the 2lb rod can handle a bigger moulded ball.....

Both rods were on buzzers, but instead of bobins, the micro swingers came out for the first outing of the year......

3 lots of spodding mix over a weedy mark took place at a 60-70 yrd mark with the idea being that the lighter rod would on the maggot method setup and the heavier rod being the method feeder pellet hair rig setup.....

By 7ish both rods were out and the area was spodded......just time to sit back and wait for the action 8-)......the only break being a regular rebait and recast (approx every 25min)

8am.....nothing ???

9am....still nothing... :(

10am.......a single bleep ???......a min later a screaming run....but failed to connect... >:(......

No on the pond a run like that does not come very day....so I was quite upset that I had missed it.......but alsa, with good graces, I rebaited and recasted.....

10:15am and the alarm sounded again on the maggot baited rod, this time I connected with a solid lump and within a couple of minutes a solid 5lb graced the net.... 8-)



By 11:00am I had another 5lb on the maggot rod 8-)

At 11:45am the alarm sounded again and the hard pellet rod was away and I struck into a fish that dtin't move for 10 sec and slowly moved off taking line........a hard followed and a 6lb 4oz bream was in the net a new PB for the water :)



Between 12:00pm and 2:00pm another 3 fish of 5lb followed and then another fish of dead on 6lb and just over 6lb followed.....all on hard pellets......

3pm came and went with only a couple of bleep and at 4pm another series of small bleeps lead to an early strike that resulted in another solid lump at the end of the line........after a short scrap another 6lb bream was in the next......

For some reason I weighted it.........another PB 6lb 6oz :D



By 6pm I had anoth 5lb bream and I was knacked..... the method feeder ground bait was empty.....so I decided it was time to go.......

Now that I've had the day to reflect, I know that on this water I've finally found tatics and where the shoals of bigger bream reside and am confident that it will produce a double figure bream......the guru of the water says he's had fish to 8lb, but belives that bigger fish might exist...........

They will have to wait for next time :o.....

TL.............

No comments:

Post a Comment