Sunday, 13 April 2014

First & Last

 Another day in pursuit of tench was the aim for a day on the bank of one of my new favourite venues.

So after getting up bright and early, I set off on the drive to the lake.

Upon arrival at the lake, I was surprised to find two cars already there, I was hoping that neither were in the swim that I want.

The morning was cold, but luckily no frost so with wet grass under my feet, I barrowed the gear around to my the swim hoping that it was still vacant and it was.

I soon had the gear unloaded and set about setting up the rods, mixing the ground bait and generally ensuring everything was to hand.

Twelve spods were send out and deposited on an area were there is in the summer a bed of weed, but the spot is a good few feet shallower than the rest of the lake and the fish more in for time to time to feed.
Unlike last time, the water wasn't boiling with topping fish, after the last spod landed, but it was noticeably colder than last time out.

Soon the three rod were baited and two method feeder were cast to the spodded area and the third setup on a bolt rig in the reedy margins.
Once all was done, I sat back in the chair and started the waiting game, eagerly anticipating the first bite of the day.
The lake inhabitants might not have been stirring yet, but the bird life was in full song. The wildlife around this lake is amazing and you can all sort of birds from you humble blue tits in the willow trees to the buzzard soaring high about on the thermals. I did seen one bird that I have seen for before, I knew it was Bunting , but had to look it up at home to confirm it was a rmale Reed Bunting.

After what seemed like an eternity, the roach bites started in earnest, but none were positive enough to hit and I found myself having to sit on my hands.
Recast and rebaiting was required on the method feeders, and a fresh pva bag of dead maggots and corn was attached to the margin rod before that was underhand cast back out to the reeds.
By 8:30am and after too many cups of tea, a comfort break was needed, but whist in full flow, the margin rod alarm sounded and a fish was running. Lifting into the fish, I could feel there was quality fish on the other end.
As short under the tip fight ensued, but with strong tackle, it wasn't long before the fish came into view and into the weighting net

The tench was hooked in the corner of the mouth and was soon unhooked and weighted. Nothing massive but at 4.1/2lb it was the biggest tench so far.
Couple of shots on the mat and then it was released. I'm not a fan of keepnets, preferring to return each fish after capture. If the fish is of a size that I want a photo of , it normally a mat shot unless, it is over a pb, and then it will be retained whilst the self take gear is set up.

After another hour of waiting, the baited are came to life and soon a bream of 4lb was in the net.
The morning grew into midday, and after a few more bream were landed, I decided that I wanted to change tact abit and try to target more of the tench. Some bigger fake baits were but onto the method rods, but the marginal rod was to continue with the pva bags.

This change seem to slow the bites down, and the fish that did take the baits, did so with vigour and soon another 5 bream on the 3-4lb bracket had been landed. But alas no tench.
But late afternoon and with time running out, I decided to try one of the fish flavoured 10mm boilies on the margin rod.
After this landed, and the bobbin attached, the fake maggot/corn cocktail was away out in the middle of the lake.
Another spirit fight with the fish boiling on the surface and I could see my target species again, the second tench.

This one was bang on 4lb, so again, not massive, but very welcome.


No comments:

Post a Comment