Tuesday 1 October 2013

Ultra Light Lure Fishing - Abu Garcia Vendetta (2-10g)




This perch fishing lark has really bitten me along with my latest obsession lure fishing, so when the lads from the various forums started going on about ultra light lure rods and fishing for our spiky sergeant major fish, I know I had to get in on the act.

Well the ultra light lure market over here and in Japan is huge!!! It seems that every man and his dog are selling, testing, plugging these products. But over here it is the lads in the Lure Anglers Society that seem to be in the know.

So after scouting out some nice expensive rods and wishing  I had never started on this route, I plumped for a recommendation from a Yorkshire man and his terrier (Cheers Ady & Tike) for the Abu Garcia Vendetta UL rod.

At 2-10g casting weight and 5'6" its down there in the sort of rod I would have bought as a kid (remember those rods in glass fibre!!). But don't let that fool you, it a nice rod and make catching a 1lb perch very pleasurable indeed.

So field test under way, on the local farm pond where the perch grow huge!!!

So looks....its nice and shiny with its distinctive red and black livery, nice reel fitting to take a small (1000 size) reel and it even breaks down to two pieces to sneak into the car or hide from the wife.

Weight well, it really light as you would expect, and when you have a fish on the line it feels great and makes you hand on for dear life. I love this little rod and so does my 4 year old nephew who was very happy with his first perch on a lure.



Down side, well only one. I broke it third time out, when playing a very good fish, don't know if it was a blank flaw or  it might have been damaged in transportation, but the good news is that the rod comes with a 12 month warranty from Abu. So after a call to their customer help line and a chat with the shop I bought it from, the replacement rod is tackled up and waiting for another trip out.

I can see this being my go anywhere lure rod for perch, jacks, chub etc

So its a 7 out of 10, it would have been a 8 had the thing not broke on me.

Price at around 30 quid on various sites, but I got it from the excellent "Basstastic" based in Swansea.

1 comment:

  1. This perch fishing lark has really bitten me along with my latest obsession lure fishing, so when the lads from the various forums started going ... aabugarcia.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete