Saturday 19 October 2013

Autumn Break (part 1)

Its that time of the year when I allow myself some time away from the normal daily route of work, family etc.

Now, normally I would head off to the Broad and boat fish on the systems for three or four days, but with money being a bit tight, I decided that I would stay at home and have a few days on my local system.

I started with a days river perch fishing, which started with a early morning rise and head out to one of many weir pools which is reputed to hold big perch.

So with the gear set up for some perchy action and the baits of reds, lobs and dendra in the pack, I venture for my first spot of the day. The drive over the the river was very pleasant and with no rain in sight, I thought I have gotten away with it.

I parked up, unloaded the gear and climbed the stile and ventured along the path to the only peg on this particular pool.

A large lobworm was soon attached to a size 8 single and it was swung carefully into a deep hole under a overhanging tree. I piled in a few worm crumb balls of bait, laced with some liquidised worm juice for good measures and started to put together the second rod.

The swim had hardly settled, then the alarm sounded and the bobbin jangled about before rising to the top. I grabbed the rod and felt a good fish on the end, but before I could feel what it was, it send the clutch spinning and was heading for open water. This was either an all might big perch or something powerful had taken a liken to the worm hook bait.
After a spirited fight I started to make head way and turned the fish, if not a perch, maybe a chub, or even a barbel I thought.
Then it boiled and I realised that it was none of the above. It wasn't even a river carp. It was a.....


Yep, a pike.

The pike was hooked cleanly in the scissor and I after landing it and unhooking it, I transported it away from my swim, hoping that without its presence, some smaller species may turn up.

I recast and set up the second rod, but the swim was dead. After a good hour I decided a move was in order.

I ventured downstream to another perchy section, and stayed for a hour, but nothing was happening, so off to the second pool.

The second weir pool was nothing like the first. This one is a lot deeper over the hole pool, and I hoped that with the depth I could find some fish.

I soon setup the first rod and cast it into a quiet eddy of the pool. No sooner had the bait settle, then the rain started. A monsoon then tipped it lot on to me, and for the next hour I sat motionless underneath the brolly.
I was starting to having visions of be washed away with the rising level, but then it stopped.

The UL rod came out and I started chucking small rubbers and spinners about the pool, hoping that something predatory would snaffle a shad, spinner or plug. Nothing, not a sniff!!!!

The worm rod which had been inactive, did have a couple of jangles after the storm, but all were quick bites probably form roach. None were big enough to take it properly thought.

Another change, were too. Plan B. Onto a perch still water.

I drove to my plan B lake think this was to be my banker, but upon arrival the heavens opened again and an already wet angler was now a bedraggle angler standing under a tree trying to look like he was enjoying the whole soggy experience of the great out doors.
The idea of sitting under a brolly for the afternoon didn't sit very well with me and after an exchange of pleasantries with the brothers on the far bank. I decided a bit of UL roving would be best.

I wander up and down the bank, cast jig worms, shads, spinners, jig worms, shad, spinners and nothing to show for my efforts.

The bedraggled and now slightly irritated angler was going to have one more cast under the snaggy willow.
Bang!!!! The tiny ondex spinner had been taken. Nothing huge, but at last a perch.

The 8oz perch was a welcome sight, it was soon unhooked and returned.

Hopefully, the next day will be better

No comments:

Post a Comment