Sunday, 31 March 2013

Tinca & Abramis Start

Now that my winter piking has finished for another season, so the search for big tinca and Abramis brama begins.
I been lucky enough to find a few waters locally that hold some decent size fish of both species, so the campaign began and I might even stumble on some carp along the way.

It began with an early drive to the chosen water through the back lanes of the county with the wonderful sights of spring along the way. Mad March hares in the fields, lapwings on the wing and a solitary barn owl hunting in the early morning gloom.

The gear has been changed from last year, as it really wasn't up to the task for distance fishing for bream and tench, so the rods have been up rated to 2.5lb tc carp rods and reels have been changed to better size for casting, but are light weight.

I arrived to fine the wind blowing from the north east as predicted and sleet/snow in the air. The lake had a fresh feel about it and, some i chose a deep corner of the lake were it was both comfortable for me and hopefully the fish.

Rods were soon out and baited up, one with a conversion method feeder with 12" hook link and baited with double red. The second was a inline maggot feeder, this was loaded with pinkies and would be recast or catapulted over every 10-15 mins to build up the swim.

Soon I was relaxing on the bank with a steaming cuppa and enjoying just begin out there again. The sun was out and it felt warm on the back, spring is here. Then a bloody big black cloud came over and dumped a 5min snow shower over me and the gear. Soon the sun was out again and with the warming rays the first tentative bites started on 2nd rod and the light bobbins were twitching with small roach bites.
Hopefully a something would hang themselves on the rig and get the session started.

The twitchy bits continued in between the snow and my confidence started to grow. Out in the distance, over the valley, a buzzard was being chased off by a couple of noisy crows and a green wood packer was hunting for ants on the far bank.

The left hand rod was away half hardily and on inspection, the maggots were sucked lifeless. This was soon re baited and recast, whilst I sat back with another cuppa and tied some of my version of DL "The Rig". Its really a version of the helicopter rig, but with some changes.

I have replaced the ESP power gum with a similar BS, just this one is clear, the hooklink is attached via a big eyed swivel and the hook is a 16.

Lunchtime came and a flask of stew was consumed with another cuppa, the snow had returned and it felt bitter in the wind so the brolly was put up to give me some shelter from its icy bite. The afternoon was colder than the morning and the twitchy bites dried up.
I noted in the corner of the swim that these was some fish moving about, so I introduced a handful of freebies  to see what their reaction was. After 20 mins, it seemed that the movement was fish, species unknown, but if they were feeding, then there was a chance I could catch them. I hastily put together the 13ft float rod, but the reel attached with a pin with 6lb mainline, which was left over from the winter river fishing, so I hoped they weren't carp. I soon dropped in a lift method  float setup with a small clear crystal straight waggler, with a banded 10mm boilie attached and waited.

There was some fizzy about the freebies and I tried to moved the float so the baited hook was in amongst them and sat back again with another cuppa. Nothing happened for for an good hour so I recast to the shadow lurching beneath the surface, but my cast with the pin had no finesse and the bait plopped into the swim and scared off the beast beneath.

The rest of the afternoon went off without any action, apart from a barn owl who stole a tasty mammal from a hunting kestrel. The kestrel was having none of this and pursued the much bigger hunter, in a mid air duel.

The snow returned for a final time and with the lack of action and the air temperature dropping, I admitted defeat, but as I packed up the last rod, a carp went airborne as if to aid to my bitter mood.

Elsewhere I learn't that some had been more fortunate, and had managed to winkle out both bream and tench. There is always next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment