Tuesday 24 January 2012

Better than Being at Work


Its was bright and early on Monday morning and I don't have to go to work today. So everything was set for a day on the bank with the pike rods.

I decided to head back to the "pond" as conditions looked good and I was feeling optimistic about the place again after the last capture.

Usual duties were done at home, and I was soon only my way for a dawn start. The air was chilly, but with no wind it was pleasant and the walk to the swims would soon warm me up.

The baits were soon out in the first swim of the day and as I sat back in the chair with the first cuppa, the little grebes soon made an appearance in the overhanging willows, ducking and diving for their breakfast.

In the distance a kestrel could be seen hovering over the bank and was soon onto a mouse or a vole in the grass. To its left the armada of coots were just to stir and they would soon be out on the water. A pair of great crested grebes were on the water already and were engaged in the head bobbing of courtship, bit early for all that but still.

I happened to be looking at the my float laying on the surface, when a pike slapped the surface with its tail. I've never understood why they do this on occasion, perhaps its to stun small fish, but it gave it presents away. Hopefully it was on its way over to my baited area.

After a couple of hours and with the baits having a good soak with nothing happening another recast
was in order. The herring and bluey was still entacted, but the belly on the joey had split open so was not useable. This was duly change and wacked to the horizon (good rods these BB350's Mr Lumb!!) I slumped back into the chair and was soon trans fixed on the comings and going on the far bank with runners, twitchers and dog walkers. On the farm above the bank, a precession of beat wagons were busy loading up on and then trundling of to the factory.

Above there was a chopper on a training flight, turning and hovering above me and making an almighty racked, but I didn't mind considering they are lightly training for a deployment to Afghanistan

10:00 came and with nothing happening, it was time for a change. I had eyed up another swim at first light, but it was abit cosy for three rods and would need some selective pruning of the brambles and willows in order to make it fishable. So I upped sticks and moved. Soon two out of the three rods were out and after pruning the overgrown willow, the swim was soon opened up for the third rod and by 11:00, I was fishing again

Lunchtime came and went without any actively, so it was again time for a recast and freshen up of the baits.....all three look very dull and unappealing, so I opted for a changed of all three. Off with the bluey, joey and herring and on with smelt, lamprey and bluey head.

13:30 and still nothing, but the sun was starting to come out, perhaps this would waken the beasts that lurk below the surface. Recast were in order again, so I retrieve the first rod and notice that the rig was looking abit worst for wear, so as I was starting to untackle the rig with my back to the rods, the middle rod alarm started to sound, had I knocked it when I was sorting the other rod out. A glance over the shoulder met with a drop off armm on the ground and line peeling off of the spool. Bail arm was engaged and the line soon pulled tort against the spool. Fish on!!!! I didn't have to tighten up much at all and I leaned into the running fish. The rod arched over initially before the tell tale thump of a small pike was soon evident.

After a short tussle, a lively jack was on the bank. It was soon unhooked vital stats taken (75cm L x 30 G, 5lb) quick couple of snaps for future identification and he was returned. With an angry swirl he was away back.

The rod was rebaited and recast, but that was it for the day and nothing else materialised, so at 15:30 I packed up and headed for home.

No comments:

Post a Comment