Tuesday 3 August 2010

Dead Calm

Sunday saw a nice overcast but warm morning when the alarm went off at 4:15am. Unfortunately, I hit the off button instead of the snooze, and awoke at 5am....

I hastily got up and dressed, prepared snacks, sandwich and a flask of tea for the day ahead. Baits was already sorted, so after scoffing down breakfast I was in the car by 5:45am and off to the "pond" for a days bream fishing....

Whilst walking around the "pond" the other evening, I had come across a old area I used to fish in the Autumn for pike that was alive with silver fish and bream rooting around in the weed for snails and other insects.....so the evening before I was due to fish, I was down with a marker float rod and a buckets of freebies, pellets, tutti fruit boilies and corn to give them some appetizers for the following morning.

The area that I baited was on the edge of the weed beds and the marker float was clipped up ready for the next morning.



I arrived at the pond and after unloading the car I walk to the waters edge to be greeted with a mirror calm surface full of bubbles and fry topping. the new barbel rods and 5000RE baitrunners were setup already so it was only a case of sending out the marker float and then sending a hair rigged 10mm pellet on a safety clip rig with a pva bag of pellets. The second rod was to be a method feeder of crumb with maggot, corn and hemp, with fake buoyant corn on the hook.

Both rods were on buzzers with swingers......then I waited...........for an hour the bubbles continued and the buzzers remained silent........baits were changed, feeders filled and recast.....

In the meantime, I started to watch the terns that had appeared from the rafts and were now squawking overhead head as they hunted out the fry from above......still nothing on the rods........

Grebes were driving and coming up with small skimmer bream and the surface of the "pond" in front of me was alive with scattering fry as the predators started to home in on their prey......




If I had packed the lure rod, I'm sure that I would have latched into a couple of jacks around the weed, but alas it was sat at home, as I had decided to take the spod rod and marked float instead....

At 11:30am the left hand rod screamed into action and ran forward and struck into a solid lump.......just as I thought the big bream had finally homed in on the bed of bait, a very angry grebe emerged from the water like a Polaris missile and headed off across the water, fortunately for me and him, the hair on the halibut pellet gave way and the rig and the 1.1/2oz lead drop into the water.......

On closure inspection, it seems that the grebe had been after not only the pellet on the hook, but also the pellets which were out as free offerings.

The rest of the days was uneventful and quite, to the point were I got out the book and in-between rebaiting, changing baits etc I read 100 plus pages until 4pm came and I decided that the fish just wanted to feast on the abundance of water snails and leaches.......

Also, of note was the water temp. I took the water temp during the day and it ranged from 17 deg C in open water and a barmy 19.4 deg C in the weed...Perhaps the bream got boiled and slopped off to the deeper depths.....

Next weekend is booked up with pre-holiday stuff and looking after my nephew and niece, so its unlikely I'll get to the waters edge to fish.........so TL for now

No comments:

Post a Comment